Check the engine oil level every time you fill the gas tank. The oil level should be above the ADD mark and not above the FULL mark on the dipstick. Make sure that the dipstick is inserted into the crankcase as far as possible and that the vehicle is resting on level ground. Also, allow a few minutes after turning off the engine for the oil to drain into the pan or an inaccurate reading will result.
- Open the hood and remove the engine oil dipstick.
- Wipe the dipstick with a clean, lint-free rag and reinsert it. Be sure to insert it all the way.
- Pull out the dipstick and note the oil level. It should be between the SAFE (MAX) mark and the ADD (MIN) mark.
- If the level is below the lower mark, replace the dipstick and add fresh oil to bring the level within the proper range. Do not overfill.
- Recheck the oil level and close the hood.
OIL AND FILTER CHANGE
The oil should be changed more frequently if the vehicle is being operated in very dusty areas. Before draining the oil, make sure that the engine is at operating temperature. Hot oil will hold more impurities in suspension and will flow better, allowing the removal of more oil and dirt.
- Place a suitable receptacle beneath the oil drain plug.
- Loosen the drain plug with a wrench, then, unscrew the plug with your fingers, using a rag or rubber gloves, to shield your fingers from the heat.
- Push in on the plug as you unscrew it so you can feel when all of the screw threads are out of the hole. You can then remove the plug quickly with the minimum amount of oil running down your arm and you will also have the plug in your hand and not in the bottom of a pan of hot oil.
- To remove the filter, make sure that you have a pan under the filter before you start to remove it from the engine
- Loosen the filter with the filter wrench.
- With a rag wrapped around the filter, unscrew the filter from the boss on the side of the engine. Be careful of hot oil that will run down the side of the filter.
- Wipe the base of the mounting boss with a clean, dry cloth. When you install the new filter, smear a small amount of oil on the gasket with your finger, just enough to coat the entire surface, where it comes in contact with the mounting plate.
- Install the filter. Tighten the filter only a half turn after it comes in contact with the mounting boss.