REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the floor mat to gain access to the shock absorber cover plate.
- Remove the cover plate.
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands placed under the frame.
- Support the front axle with a floor jack.
- Remove the two upper spring retainer bolts and remove the retainer and clamp.
- Remove the spring lower retainer bolt and remove the retainer and support.
- Place a safety chain through the spring to prevent sudden tension release and slowly lower the jack.
- Remove the spring.
- Position the spring on the axle with the pigtails rearward.
- Loosely install the lower support, retainer and bolt.
- Install the upper insulator.
- Raise the axle to position the spring.
- Make sure that the retainer bolts are approximately flush with the bottom of the clamp bar.
- Insert the retainer into the hole in the floor with the clamp bar pointed toward the right side.
- Rotate the retainer assembly 90° clockwise until the oval retainer seats in the oval hole. Install the two bolts. Make sure that the clamp bar has trapped the tang on the upper spring end.
- Tighten the spring retainers to 18-25 ft. lbs. (24-34 Nm).
- Raise the front of the vehicle and place jackstands under the frame and a jack under the axle.
- Remove the wheels.
- Disconnect the shock absorber from the lower bracket.
- Remove the two spring upper retainer attaching bolts from the top of the spring upper seat and remove the retainer.
- Remove the nut attaching the spring lower retainer to the lower seat and axle and remove the retainer.
- Place a safety chain through the spring to prevent it from suddenly coming loose. Slowly lower the axle and remove the spring.
- Place the spring in position and raise the front axle.
- Position the spring lower retainer over the stud and lower seat, and install the two attaching bolts.
- Position the upper retainer over the spring coil and against the spring upper seat, and install the two attaching bolts.
Observe the following torques:
1975-76 Upper retainer bolts: 20-30 ft. lbs. (27-41 Nm)