Removable Type Carrier Only
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist and remove the two rear wheel and tire assemblies.
- Remove the brake drums from the axle shaft flange studs (back off the brake shoes to make drum removal easier).
- Working through the access hole provided in each axle shaft flange, remove the nuts that secure the rear wheel bearing retainer plate. Pull each axle shaft assembly out of the axle housing using axle shaft puller adapter, Tool T66L-4234-A or equivalent. Wire the brake backing plate to the frame rail. Remove the gasket and discard, if so equipped.
- Make scribe marks on the driveshaft end yoke and the axle companion flange to insure proper position at assembly. Disconnect the driveshaft at the rear axle U-joint. Hold the cups on the spider with tape. Mark the cups so that they will be in their original position relative to the flange when they are assembled. Remove the driveshaft from the transmission extension housing. Install an oil seal replacer tool in the housing to prevent transmission leakage.
- Clean area around carrier to housing surfaces with a wire brush and wipe clean, to prevent dirt entry into the housing. Place a drain pan under the carrier and housing, remove the carrier attaching nuts and washers, and drain the axle. Remove the carrier assembly from the axle housing.
- Clean the axle housing and shaft using kerosene and swabs. To avoid contamination of the of the grease in the sealed ball bearings, do not allow any quantity of solvent directly on the wheel bearings. Clean the mating surfaces of the axle housing and carrier.
- Position the differential carrier on the studs in the axle housing using a new gasket between the carrier and the housing. To insure a good seal, apply a bead of Silicone Rubber Sealant (D6AZ-19562-A or B). to the gasket. Install the carrier to housing attaching nuts and washers, tighten them to 25-40 ft. lbs. (34-54 Nm).
- Remove the oil seal replacer tool from the transmission extension housing. Position the driveshaft so that the U-joint slip yoke splines to the transmission output shaft.
- Connect the driveshaft to the axle U-joint flange, aligning the scribe marks made on the driveshaft end yoke and the axle U-joint flange during the removal procedure. Install the U-bolts and nuts and tighten them to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the two axle shaft assemblies in the axle housing. Care must be exercised to prevent damage to the oil seals. Carefully slide the axle shaft into the housing so that the rough forging of the shaft will not damage the oil seal. Timken bearing axle shafts do not require a gasket. Start the axle splines into the differential side gear, and push the shaft in until the bearing bottoms in the housing.
- Install the bearing retainer plates on the attaching bolts and alternately tighten them to 20-40 ft. lbs. (27-54 Nm).
- Install the two rear brake drums.
- Install the rear wheel and tire assemblies.
- If the rear brake shoes were backed off, adjust the brakes.
- Fill the rear axle with the specified lubricant.