REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Place a drain pan under the pump and disconnect the pressure and return lines. Cap the lines and ports.
- On vans with a 6-cylinder engine, lower the van.
- Loosen the pump retaining bolts, slide the pump inward and remove the belt.
- Disconnect the reservoir line.
- On 6-cylinder engines, remove the nuts that hold the pump bracket to the block. Remove the pump and bracket from under the van. On V8 engines, remove the pump-to-bracket bolts and lay the pump on the crossmember. Loosen the bracket-to-block bolts and nuts, move the bracket forward and remove the pump.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the pump-to-bracket bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm); the bracket-to-block bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm); the pressure hose nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Refill the reservoir with power steering fluid and start the engine. Turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times to expel any air. Don't hold the wheel against the stops! Check for leaks.
- Place a drain pan under the pump.
- Disconnect the pressure and return lines and cap the ports and lines.
- Remove the belt tension nut.
- Remove the attaching bolts and take off the belt. Lift out the pump.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Adjust the belt. Tighten all retainers to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm). Tighten the pressure line nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm). Refill the pump. Start the engine and turn the wheel from lock-to-lock several times to expel any air. Refill the pump with power steering fluid.