Ford recommends that the fluid level in the power steering pump reservoir be checked at least twice a year.
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
Ford recommends the use of Motorcraft Type "F", or equivalent power steering fluid.
- Park the vehicle on a level surface.
- Start the engine and allow it to run for at least 5 minutes to heat the power steering fluid to operating temperature.
- Turn the steering wheel back and forth several times.
- Turn the engine OFF .
- Clean around the reservoir cap with a shop rag to prevent contaminating the fluid with dirt.
- Remove the dipstick from the reservoir. The level should be between the illustrated marks on the FULL HOT side of the dipstick.
- As required, add the required amount of fluid to the system.
The power steering fluid should only be checked cold if absolutely necessary. When checking the level cold, ensure it is at least up to the bottom of the FULL COLD marks on the dipstick.