REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Remove the front wheel knuckle.
Make sure the shaft protector is centered, clears the bearing ID and rests on the end face of the wheel hub journal.
- On a workbench, install a 2-jaw puller and Shaft Protector (D80L-625-1) or equivalent, with the jaws of the puller on the knuckle bosses.
- Separate the front wheel knuckle from the hub.
- Remove and discard the wheel bearing retainer snapring.
- Using an hydraulic press, place a Front Bearing Spacer (T86P-1104-A2) or equivalent, step side up on a press plate and position the knuckle (outboard side up) on the spacer.
- Install Front Wheel Bearing Remover (T83P-1104-AH2) or equivalent, centered on the front wheel bearing outer race, and press the front wheel bearing out of the knuckle.
If the wheel bearing journal is scored or damaged, replace the wheel hub. Do not attempt to service. The front wheel bearings are of a cartridge design. Wheel bearings are pregreased, sealed and require no scheduled maintenance. The front wheel bearings are preset and cannot be adjusted. If a front wheel bearing is disassembled for any reason, it must be replaced as an assembly. No individual components are available.
- Throughly clean the wheel hub and bearing journal to ensure correct seating of the new wheel bearing.
- Place the Front Bearing Spacer (T86P-1104-A2) or equivalent, step side down on an hydraulic press plate and position the front wheel knuckle (outboard side down) on the spacer.
- Position a new wheel bearing in the inboard side of the wheel hub and spindle. Install Hub Bearing Replacer (T86P-1104-A3) or equivalent, (with the undercut side facing the bearing) and press wheel bearing into knuckle.
Make sure the wheel bearing seats completely against the shoulder of the knuckle bore.
- Install a new front wheel bearing retainer snapring in the hub and spindle groove.
- Place Front Bearing Spacer (T86P-1104-A2) or equivalent, on an arbor press plate and position the wheel hub on the front bearing spacer with its lug bolts facing downward.
- Position the wheel hub and knuckle (outboard side down) on the press. Place Front Bearing Remover (T83P-1104-AH2) or equivalent, flat side down, centered on the inner race of the front wheel bearing and press down until the bearing is fully seated.
- Ensure that the wheel hub rotates freely in the knuckle after installation.
- Remove the front halfshaft from the vehicle.
- Prior to wheel hub, bearing and knuckle installation, replace the front wheel dust shield on the halfshaft.
- Install the halfshaft and knuckle.