REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
Do not begin this procedure unless a new front axle wheel hub nut, a new lower arm ball joint pinch bolt and nut, and a new tie rod and knuckle nut and cotter pin are available. Once removed, these parts must not be reused during assembly. Their torque holding ability or retention capability is diminished during removal.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF and place the steering column in the unlocked position.
- Loosen but do not remove the three front strut-to-tower nuts.
Do not raise the vehicle by the lower arms.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the disc brake caliper and suspend it out of the way using a piece of wire.
- Remove the front disc brake rotor.
- Remove the front axle wheel hub nut.
- Using a Front Wheel Hub Remover (T81P-1104-C) or equivalent, remove the front wheel bearing and front wheel knuckle as an assembly.
- Using a Tie Rod End Remover (TOOL-3290-D) or equivalent, disconnect the tie rod end from the front wheel knuckle.
Use extreme care to not damage the link ball joint boot seal.
- Remove the stabilizer bar link from the lower arm.
- Remove and discard the front suspension lower arm-to-front wheel knuckle pinch bolt and nut.
- Using a prybar, slightly spread the front wheel knuckle-to-lower arm pinch joint and remove the lower arm from the front wheel knuckle.
- Remove the speed sensor bracket and speed sensor from he front wheel knuckle.
- Remove the strut-to-front wheel knuckle pinch bolt.
- Using a prybar, slightly spread the front wheel knuckle-to-front strut pinch joint as required for removal.
- Remove the front wheel knuckle and wheel hub assembly from the front strut.
- Remove the three front strut mounting bracket-to-strut tower nuts and remove the front strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Install the front strut assembly and tighten the strut-to-strut tower mounting bolts hand tight.
- Install the front wheel knuckle and wheel hub assembly.
- Install the new strut-to-wheel knuckle pinch bolt and tighten to 85-97 ft. lbs. (115-132 Nm).
- Install the halfshaft into the wheel hub.
- Insall the lower arm ensuring that the ball stud groove is properly positioned. use extreme care no to damage the ball joint seal. Install a new pinch bolt and nut. Tighten to 46-52 ft. lbs. (62-71 Nm).
- Install the front wheel knuckle making sure the front stabilizer bar link is properly positioned. Use care not to damage the ball joint seal.
Top left-hand (Top LH) and top right-hand (Top RH) markings are molded into the stabilizer bar link for correct assembly reference.
- Install a new stabilizer link nut and tighten to 66-74 ft. lbs. (90-100 Nm).
- Install the tie rod end onto the front wheel knuckle. Tighten the new tie rod slotted nut to 66-74 ft. lbs. (90-100 Nm).
- Install the front brake anti-lock sensor and bracket on the knuckle.
- Insatll the front disc brake rotor.
- Install the front wheel.
- Tighten the three strut mounting bracket-to-strut tower bolts to 25-30 ft. lbs. (35-40 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle and tighten the front axle wheel hub nut to 170-202 ft. lbs. (230-275 Nm).
- Check the wheel alignment.
See Figures 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Compress the front coil spring with a Rotunda Spring Compressor (086-0029B) or equivalent.
It is important that the retaining nut be turned and rod held still to prevent fracture of the rod at the base of the hex.
- Place a 10mm box end wrench on top of the strut shaft and hold while removing the top shaft retaining nut with a 21mm 6-point crow's foot wrench and ratchet.
- Loosen the spring compressor slowly.
- Remove the strut mounting bracket, bearing plate and front coil spring.
Make sure that the correct assembly sequence and proper positioning of the bearing and seat assembly are followed. The bearing and seat assembly is press fit onto the front strut mounting bracket.
- Check the front spring insulator for damage. If the outer metal splash shield is bent or damaged, it must be bent back carefully so that it does not touch the locator tabs on the bearing and seal assembly.
- Install the spring compressor and compress the spring.
- Install the front spring, lower washer and front strut mounting bracket assembly on the body.
- Install the upper washer and nut on the strut shaft. Tighten the nut to 40-46 ft. lbs. (55-63 Nm) while holding the shaft to prevent it front turning.
- Install the strut assembly in the vehicle.