The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor resistance changes in response to the ambient air temperature. The sensor resistance decreases as the air temperature increases. This provides a signal to the PCM indicating the temperature of the incoming air charge.
The 3.0L engine sensor is mounted in the air cleaner-to-throttle body supply tube, while the 3.8L engine sensor is mounted in the air cleaner box.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Disconnect the wiring harness from the IAT sensor.
- Measure the resistance between the sensor terminals.
- Compare the resistance reading with the accompanying chart.
- If the resistance is not within specification, the IAT may be faulty.
- Connect the wiring harness to the sensor.