Removal & Installation
- Turn the ignition switch OFF and place the steering column in the unlocked position.
- Remove the front axle nut.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
Remove the wheel.
NOTEMake sure the steering column tube is in the unlocked position. Do not use a hammer to separate the ball joint from the knuckle. Use extreme care not to damage the ball joint boot seal.
- Using a Tie Rod End Remover (TOOL-3290-D) or equivalent, disconnect the tie rod end from the front wheel knuckle.
- Remove the stabilizer bar link from the lower arm.
- Remove the disc brake caliper and suspend it out of the way using a piece of wire.
- Remove the front disc brake rotor.
- Loosen but do not remove the three top retaining nuts from the strut tower.
- Remove and discard the front suspension lower arm-to-front wheel knuckle pinch bolt and nut.
Using a prybar, slightly spread the front wheel knuckle-to-lower arm pinch joint and remove the lower arm from the front wheel knuckle.
NOTEDo not allow the halfshaft to move outboard. Over extension of the CV-joint could result in separation of internal parts causing failure of the halfshaft.
- Remove and discard the strut-to-front wheel knuckle pinch bolt and nut.
Using a prybar, slightly spread the strut-to-knuckle pinch joint.
- Using a Front Wheel Hub Remover (T81P-1104-C) or equivalent, remove the front wheel bearing and front wheel knuckle as an assembly.
- Install the front disc brake rotor shield, if removed.
- Replace seal pressed on outboard halfshaft and joint, as required.
- Install the front wheel bearing, retainer ring and wheel hub.
- Install the knuckle on the strut assembly and connect the tie rod. Loosely install a new pinch bolt.
- Install the halfshaft into the front hub.
- Install the lower arm to the knuckle, making sure the ball stud groove is properly positioned.
- Tighten new lower arm nut and bolt to 46-52 ft. lbs. (62-71 Nm).
- Tighten strut-to-knuckle pinch bolt and nut to 85-97 ft. lbs. (115-132 Nm).
- Install the front disc brake rotor and caliper. Replace caliper retaining bolts and tighten to 73-97 ft. lbs. (98-132 Nm).
- Connect tie rod end to knuckle and tighten new castle nut to 66-74 ft. lbs. 90-100 Nm).
- Install the stabilizer bar link and tighten new nut to 66-74 ft. lbs. 90-100 Nm).
- Install the front brake anti-lock sensor and bracket.
- Install the wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Tighten the three front strut-to-strut tower retaining nuts to 25-30 ft. lbs. (35-40 Nm).
- Tighten the front axle wheel nut to 170-202 ft. lbs. (230-275 Nm).
- Check wheel alignment.