Overhaul (Coil Spring Removal & Installation)
Never attempt to disassemble the strut without first compressing the coil spring. The spring is under tremendous pressure. Serious injury or death could result.
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
Compress the front coil spring with a Rotunda Spring Compressor or equivalent.
NOTEIt is important that the retaining nut be turned and rod held still to prevent fracture of the rod at the base of the hex.
- Place a 10mm box end wrench on top of the strut shaft and hold while removing the top shaft retaining nut with a 21mm 6-point crow-s foot wrench and ratchet.
- Loosen the spring compressor slowly.
Remove the strut mounting bracket, bearing plate and front coil spring.
Make sure that the correct assembly sequence and proper positioning of the bearing and seat assembly are followed. The bearing and seat assembly is press fit onto the front strut mounting bracket.
- Check the front spring insulator for damage. If the outer metal splash shield is bent or damaged, it must be bent back carefully so that it does not touch the locator tabs on the bearing and seal assembly.
- Install the spring compressor and compress the spring.
- Install the front spring, lower washer and front strut mounting bracket assembly on the body.
- Install the upper washer and nut on the strut shaft. Tighten the nut to 40-46 ft. lbs. (55-63 Nm) while holding the shaft to prevent it front turning.
- Install the strut assembly in the vehicle.
Removal & Installation
Do not begin this procedure unless a new front axle wheel hub nut, a new lower arm ball joint pinch bolt and nut, and a new tie rod and knuckle nut and cotter pin are available. Once removed, these parts must not be reused during assembly. Their torque holding ability, or retention capability, is diminished during removal.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF and place the steering column in the unlocked position.
Loosen but do not remove the 3 front strut-to-tower nuts.
WARNINGDo not raise the vehicle by the lower arms.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEThe hydraulic brake system will need to be bled if the brake hose is removed from the caliper.
WARNINGUse extreme care to not damage the ball joint boot seal.
Stabilizer bar link from the lower arm
Install or connect the following:
NOTEThe words "top left-hand" and "top right-hand" are molded into the stabilizer bar link for correct assembly reference.
Front strut assembly and tighten the strut-to-strut tower mounting bolts hand-tight
New stabilizer link nut and tighten to 66-74 ft. lbs. (90-100 Nm)
- Tighten the 3 strut mounting bracket-to-strut tower bolts to 25-30 ft. lbs. (35-40 Nm)
- Lower the vehicle and tighten the front axle wheel hub nut to 170-202 ft. lbs. (230-275 Nm)
- Check the wheel alignment.