The air bag system must be disarmed prior to service on or around any air bag component. The backup power supply must be disconnected to prevent accidental air bag deployment.
- Ensure the steering wheel and the vehicle-s front wheels are in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Pry out the two steering wheel spoke covers which cover the air bag module screws on the sides of the steering wheel.
Remove the air bag module retaining screws on the side of the steering wheel from the driver side air bag module and lift the air bag module away from the steering wheel.
Label and disconnect the air bag wire harness, horn control wire and speed control harness.
NOTEEnsure the air bag sliding contact assembly wire harnesses do not get caught on the steering wheel when lifting the wheel off of the steering shaft.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining bolt and discard.
Install Steering Wheel Puller (T67L-3600-A) or equivalent, and remove the steering wheel.
Route the contact assembly wire harness through the steering wheel as the steering wheel is lifted off its shaft.
NOTEBe sure the air bag sliding contact internal service lock is engaged. The air bag sliding contact should not be turned more than 45 degrees to the right or left to prevent damage.
- Rotate air bag sliding contact to the right or left to engage the service lock.
Ensure that the steering wheel and the vehicle-s front wheels are in the straight ahead position.
NOTEBe sure wiring does not get caught between steering wheel and air bag sliding contact or air bag monitor will detect a fault.
- Route the air bag sliding contact wire harness through the steering wheel opening at the three o-clock position. position steering wheel on steering shaft so the alignment marks are aligned. Be sure air bag contact wire is not pinched.
- Install a new steering wheel retaining bolt and tight to 25-34 ft. lbs. (34-46 Nm).
- Connect the air bag wire harness, horn control wire and speed control harness.
- Ensure all air bag to steering wheel seams are flush and no gaps are visible.
- Tighten air bag sliding contact retaining screws to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm). Cover holes in the steering wheel with covers.
- Connect the negative battery cable and verify the air bag warning indicator is functioning properly.