Inspect inner and outer boots for cracks and signs of grease. Check for loose or missing boot bands.
Removal & Installation
- Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheels.
Remove the axle shaft caulking nut. Discard the nut.
- Remove the lower ball joint pinch bolt and nut.
- Separate the steering knuckle from the lower ball joint.
- Remove the tie rod nut.
Separate the tie rod end.
- Push the drive axle shaft from the wheel hub.
- Remove the drive axle from the transaxle.
- Clean the hub seal and the transaxle seal.
- Install the drive axle into the transaxle.
- Install the wheel hub onto the axle shaft.
- Install the tie rod into the knuckle/strut and install the tie rod nut.
- Tighten the tie rod nut to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm)
- Install the lower ball joint pinch bolt and nut.
- Tighten the lower ball joint pinch bolt and nut to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm)
Loosely install a new axle shaft caulking nut.
NOTEAlways use a new nut.
- Install the wheels. Loosely install the nuts.
- Lower the vehicle to the floor.
- Tighten the wheel nuts to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm)
- Tighten the axle shaft caulking nut to 221 ft. lbs. (300 Nm)
- Peen the caulking nut with a punch and a hammer until the nut is locked into place on the axle shaft hub.
- Refill the transaxle fluid to the proper level.