- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove or disconnect the following:
- Front wheels.
- Power steering gear fluid outlet pipe.
- Place a drain pan under the steering gear to catch the power steering fluid.
- Power steering gear fluid inlet pipe
- Position the steering gear straight ahead by turning the steering wheel until the steering wheel spokes are vertical and pointed to the left.
Scribe a mark on the stub shaft housing that lines up with a mark on the intermediate shaft lower coupling.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Intermediate shaft pinch bolt
- Install the rack and pinion assembly onto the crossmember. The steering gear must be in a straight-ahead position, and the steering wheel spokes must be vertical and pointing to the left. Align the marks on the shafts to ensure proper positioning. Seat the stub shaft into the intermediate shaft.
- Install or connect the following:
- Bolts and nuts on the steering gear mounting bracket. Tighten the steering gear mounting bracket bolts and nuts to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- Return line into clip on the crossmember and tighten to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm)
- On vehicles equipped with a manual transaxle, position the transaxle center bracket in place and install the bolts securing the bracket to the engine and the transaxle. Tighten the transaxle center bracket-to-transaxle bolts and the transaxle center bracket-to-engine bolt to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- On vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle, install the transaxle center bracket.
- Install the crossmember.
- Tighten the rear crossmember-to-body bolts to 145 ft. lbs. (196 Nm) and the front crossmember-to-body bolts to 96 ft. lbs. (130 Nm).
- Install the tie rod ends to strut assembly
- Install the outer tie rod nuts and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
- Install the lower intermediate shaft pinch bolt and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Install the power steering gear fluid inlet and outlet pipes and tighten the pipe fittings to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm)
- Install the front wheels
- Lower the vehicle.
- Check and adjust the front wheel alignment.
- Refill the power steering system and check for leaks. If leaks are found, correct the cause of the leak and bleed the system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.