The Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) can maintain sufficient voltage to deploy the airbags and pretensioners for 1 minute after the ignition is OFF and the fuse has been removed. If the airbags and pretensioners are not disconnected, do not begin service until 1 minute has passed after disconnecting power to SDM. If the airbags are disconnected, service can be done immediately without waiting for 1-minute time period to expire. Failure to temporarily disable the SIR during service can result in unexpected deployment, personal injury and unnecessary SIR repairs.
- Position front wheels in straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative and positive battery cables.
- Remove the upper and the lower instrument trim panels.
Disconnect the steering wheel rotation sensor electrical connector.
Turn the steering wheel until it is horizontal, with the spokes pointing down. This is the straight-ahead position. Make a mark on the stub shaft housing that lines up with a mark on the intermediate shaft lower universal joint. This mark will be used for proper alignment during installation.
- Remove the lower pinch bolt from the universal joint on the intermediate shaft.
- Turn the steering wheel so that the upper pinch bolt is accessible. Remove the upper pinch bolt from the universal joint on the intermediate shaft.
Remove the nuts from the dash seal retaining ring and remove the dash seal retaining ring.
Remove the coupling from the power steering gear and pull the intermediate shaft out of the engine compartment.
- Remove the retaining screw from the steering wheel rotation sensor.
Remove the steering wheel rotation sensor.
- Install the steering wheel rotation sensor with the retaining screw.
- Tighten the steering wheel rotation sensor retaining screw to 18 inch lbs. ( 2 Nm)
- Installation of the intermediate shaft is in the reverse procedure.
- Connect the steering wheel rotation sensor electrical connector.
- Install the upper and the lower instrument trim panels.
- Connect the negative battery cable.