- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the front and/or rear wheels.
- Install the lug nuts and tighten them to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
- Use a dial gauge to measure front bearing end-play at the hub flange, or to measure rear bearing end-play at the center of the hub's grease cap.
- Pull the rotor assembly in and out to measure the bearing play. Compare the dial gauge readings.
- The standard bearing end-play for both front and rear wheels is 0.000-0.002 in. (0.00-0.05mm). If the end-play measurement exceeds the standard, the wheel bearings must be replaced. The wheel bearings cannot be adjusted.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Once the wheel bearing is removed, it must be replaced. A hydraulic press and bearing drivers are required to remove and install the wheel bearing. The following Honda tools or their equivalents are needed: hub assembly tool 07GAF-SE0100, hub bases 07965-SD90100, bearing driver 07749-0010000, 52 x 55mm driving attachment 07746-0010400.
- Remove the steering knuckle assembly. For specific details, refer to the repair procedures in this section.
- On 4-cylinder Odyssey models, remove the flange bolts securing the hub unit to the knuckle and remove the hub unit.
- On CRV and V6 Odyssey models, support the knuckle in a suitable press plate.
- On 4-cylinder Odyssey models, support the hub unit in a suitable press plate.
- Using a suitable press tool that is slightly smaller than the inner race of the wheel bearing, press the hub out of the inner wheel bearing race.
- Remove the inner race remaining on the hub from the hub assembly using s bearing separator.
- On CRV and V6 Odyssey models, remove the large circlip.
- Support the knuckle or hub unit in a suitable press plate, and using a press tool slightly smaller than the outer race of the wheel bearing, press the wheel bearing out.
- If the knuckle is being replaced, transfer the splash guard shield.
- Carefully inspect the lug nut studs, and replace them at this time, if necessary.
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Using a press tool slightly smaller than the outer race of the wheel bearing, support the knuckle or hub unit, and press the wheel bearing into the knuckle or hub unit. If used, install the large circlip.
- Support the inner wheel bearing race, and press the hub into the wheel bearing.
- On 4-cylinder Odyssey models, install the hub unit onto the knuckle and torque the flange bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
The balance of installation is in reverse order of removal, noting the following:
Tighten the axle spindle nut to 181 ft. lbs. (245 Nm)