- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Place a suitable jack under the lower control arm and lift the arm upward 2 inches (50mm).
- Carefully grasp the upper and lower portion of the front tires and attempt to rock back and forth.
If looseness is felt at the lower portion of the tire proceed as follows:
- Using a suitable prytool pry between the steering knuckle and the lower control arm.
- If looseness is present, on CRV and 4-cylinder Odyssey models, replace the lower joint. On V6 Odyssey models, replace the lower control arm assembly.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On V6 Odyssey models, the lower ball joints cannot be replaced separately. If the ball joints become worn or damaged, the lower control arm assembly must be replaced.
CRV and 4-Cylinder Odyssey models
This procedure is performed after the removal of the steering knuckle and requires the use of special press tools. In addition a large sturdy vise is needed. After replacement of the ball joint, the ball joint retaining clip is installed onto the boot using Clip Guide Tool No. 07974-SA50700 or 07GAG-SD40700 or their equivalents.
- Remove the brake caliper, and brake rotor from the steering knuckle assembly. For more information, refer to Brakes of this repair guide.
- Remove the steering knuckle assembly from the vehicle, as outlined later in this section.
- Pry off the ball joint boot snapring and remove the boot.
- Check the boot condition and replace if damaged or deteriorated.
- Install the ball joint removal/installer Tool No. 07HAF-SF101110 around the ball joint spindle with the large end facing out. Install and tighten the ball joint castle nut to hold the tool in position.
- Position the knuckle with the installed tool into a suitable vise, with the ball joint removal base Tool No. 07HAF-SF10130 installed over the ball joint base.
- Tighten the vise to press the ball joint out of the steering knuckle.
- Position the new ball joint into the hole of the steering knuckle.
- Install the ball joint removal/installer Tool No. 07HAF-SF101110 on the ball joint spindle side of the steering knuckle the small end facing out.
- Position the installation base Tool No. 07HAF-SF10120 on the ball joint base and set the assembly in a large vise. Tighten the vise to press the ball joint into the steering knuckle.
- Pack the interior of the ball joint boot with grease.
- Adjust the boot clip guide tool with its adjusting bolt until the end of the tool aligns with the groove on the boot. Slide the clip over the installed onto the boot using the clip guide Tool No. 07974-SA50700 or 07GAG-SD40700 or their equivalent and into position on the ball joint boot and seat the ball joint boot snapring in the groove of the ball joint.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Install the hub assembly and brake disc onto the knuckle.
- Install the steering knuckle assembly into the vehicle.
- Have the vehicle's front end alignment checked and adjusted as necessary.