REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the brake hose clamp bolts from the strut.
- Remove the damper fork-to-damper pinch bolt, then the fork-to-control arm through bolt and remove the damper fork.
See Figures 1 through 5
On V6 Odyssey models, perform the following:
- Remove the wheel sensor wire bracket.
- Remove the brake hose bracket.
- Remove the upper stabilizer link.
- Make alignment reference marks between the knuckle assembly and the strut.
- Remove the two strut to steering knuckle pinch bolts and nuts.
- From the engine compartment, remove the strut mounting flange nuts. Lower the strut from the vehicle.
- Inspect the strut mounts for wear and damage. Replace any damaged or worn parts.
- Remove the spring assembly.
- Install the strut into the vehicle. Hand-tighten the mounting nuts.
On CRV and 4-cylinder Odyssey models, use new self-locking nuts when installing the struts and assembling the damper forks.
On CRV and 4-cylinder Odyssey models, perform the following steps:
- Install the strut into the damper fork. The alignment mark on the strut tube fits into the groove on the damper fork.
- Install the pinch bolt and damper fork bolt. Only hand-tighten these bolts.
- Install the front wheels and lower the vehicle.
- With all four of the vehicle's wheels on the ground, tighten the damper fork nut to 47 ft. lbs. (65 Nm) while holding the damper fork bolt. Tighten the damper fork pinch bolt to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm). Tighten the strut mounting nuts to 28 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
On V6 Odyssey models, perform the following steps:
- Install the wheel sensor wire bracket and tighten to 83 inch lbs. (9.3 Nm).
- Install the brake hose bracket, and tighten to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install the upper stabilizer link and tighten to 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm).
- Align the reference marks between the knuckle assembly and the strut.
- Install the two strut-to-steering knuckle pinch bolts and nuts loosely.
With a floor jack placed safely under the lower control arm, lift the steering knuckle until it begins to support the weight of the vehicle and tighten the damper mounting nuts and pinch bolts to the following specifications:
- Tighten the two strut to steering knuckle pinch bolts to 116 ft. lbs. (157 Nm).
- Tighten the strut mounting nuts to 28 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Install the front wheels.
- Tighten the wheel nuts to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
- Check and adjust the vehicle's front end alignment as needed.
The strut assemblies are sealed units. If worn or damaged, they must be replaced. The only component that can be removed is the coil spring. For more information, please refer to that procedure in this section.