Removal & Installation
- Deplete the vacuum from the vacuum brake booster by removing the vacuum check valve (1) from the vacuum brake booster grommet. Do not disconnect the vacuum check valve from the vacuum brake hose.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the brake fluid level sensor.
Disconnect the brake pipes from the master cylinder.
NOTEInstall a rubber cap or plug to the exposed brake pipe fitting end in order to prevent brake fluid loss and contamination.
- Plug the open brake pipe fitting ends.
- Remove the 2 master cylinder mounting nuts.
- Remove the master cylinder, ensure the master cylinder-to-vacuum brake booster seal for damage. Replace seal if necessary.
- Remove the reservoir from the master cylinder if it is to be reused on a replacement master cylinder.
- Install the brake master cylinder reservoir to the master cylinder if it was removed previously.
- Bench bleed the master cylinder.
- Check to ensure that the master cylinder-to-vacuum brake booster seal is properly seated on the master cylinder barrel.
- Install the master cylinder to the vacuum brake booster.
- Install the 2 brake master cylinder mounting nuts.
- Tighten the 2 brake master cylinder mounting nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Remove the plugs from the brake pipes.
- Install the brake pipes to the master cylinder.
- Tighten the brake pipe fittings at the master cylinder to 15 ft. lbs (20 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connector to the brake fluid level sensor.
- Connect the vacuum brake booster check valve to the vacuum brake booster grommet.
- Bleed the hydraulic brake system.