Removal & Installation
2.4L, 3.5L & 3.9L Engines
- Remove the transmission.
- Hold the crankshaft balancer and remove the flywheel.
- Carefully pry the seal out of the retainer without damaging the crankshaft or the seal retainer.
- Lubricate the seal with clean engine oil.
- Install the seal into the retainer using the appropriate seal installer.
- Install the flywheel and tighten the bolts to 39 ft. lbs. (53 Nm) plus an additional 25 degrees on 2.5L, or 52 ft. lbs. (71 Nm) on 3.5L and 3.9L.
- Install the transmission.
- Remove the transaxle.
- Secure flywheel with holding tool EN 46106.
- Remove the engine flywheel bolts and flywheel.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the crankshaft rear oil seal housing bolts.
- Use the pry points located at the edge of the crankshaft rear oil seal housing to separate the RTV sealant.
- Remove and discard the crankshaft rear oil seal housing.
- Install the 0.236 inch (6 mm). guides pins from the EN 46109 into the 2 crankshaft rear oil seal housing corner bolt holes of the engine block.
Install the EN-47839 with the J 42183 (1, 2) onto the rear of the crankshaft flange.
Place a 0.118 inch. (3 mm) bead of RTV sealant, to the
crankshaft rear oil seal housing as shown (1).
Install the crankshaft rear oil seal housing to the engine block.
NOTEDO NOT allow any engine oil on the area where the crankshaft rear oil seal housing is to be installed.
- Remove the EN 46109 0.236 inch. (6 mm) guides from the engine block.
- Install the crankshaft rear oil seal housing bolts and tighten to 89 inch. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Remove the EN-47839 and J 42183 from the crankshaft flange.
- Install the oil pan.
- Place the engine flywheel in position on the crankshaft.
- Install 2 new bolts in location at the top and bottom of the engine flywheel bolt pattern allowing the engine flywheel to hang in position
- Install the remaining new engine flywheel bolts.
- Tighten the new engine flywheel bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Tighten the new engine flywheel bolts an additional 45 degrees using a angle meter.
- Install the transaxle.
- Check transaxle fluid level and add if needed.