Removal & Installation
3.5L & 3.9L Engines
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the valve rocker arm covers.
- Remove the rocker arm bolts.
- Remove the rocker arms.
- Remove the pushrods.
Install the pushrods in the original location. Ensure that the pushrods seat in the lifter.
NOTEThe intake pushrods are identified with yellow stripes and are 5-3/4 inches long. Exhaust pushrods are identified with green stripes on 3.5L and blue stripes on 3.9L and are 6 inches long.
- Install the rocker arms.
- Install the rocker arm bolts and tighten to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Install the valve rocker covers.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.
- Remove valve cover.
- Remove the applicable camshaft(s). Refer to Camshaft Replacement.
- Remove the valve rocker arms, camshaft followers.
- Clean and inspect the camshaft(s) and the rocker arm(s). Repair or replace as necessary.
Apply a liberal amount of lubricant GM P/N 12345501 (Canadian P/N 992704) or equivalent to the pivot pocket, roller and valve slot areas of the camshaft followers.
WARNINGThe follower must be positioned squarely on the valve tip so that the full width of the roller will completely contact the camshaft lobe. If the followers are being reused you must put them back in their original location.
- Place the camshaft followers in position on the valve tip and Stationary Hydraulic Lash Adjuster (SHLA).
- The rounded head end of the follower goes on the SHLA while the flat end goes on the valve tip.
- Clean the camshaft journals and carriers with a clean, lint-free cloth.
- Install the applicable camshaft(s).
- Install valve cover.