Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Release the fuel system pressure.
- Remove the fuel tank.
- Disconnect the fuel pressure sensor and sender electrical connections.
- Disconnect the EVAP vapor line quick connect fittings.
- Disengage the fuel feed line from the retaining features built into the fuel tank.
- Use Fuel Lock Ring Remover J-45722 and a long breaker-bar in order to unlock the fuel lock ring.
- Raise the fuel pump assembly out of the tank far enough to access the vapor line quick connect fitting on the underside of the cover.
- Disconnect the vapor line quick connect fitting.
Remove the fuel pump assembly from the fuel tank.
NOTESome lock rings were manufactured with "DO NOT REUSE" stamped into them. These lock rings may be reused if they are not damaged or warped.
- Place the lock ring on a flat surface. Measure the clearance between the lock ring and the flat surface using a feeler gage at 7 points. If warpage is less than0.016 inch ( 0.41mm), the lock ring does not require replacement. If warpage is more than specified, replace the lock ring.
- Install a new o-ring seal onto the fuel pump.
- Install the pump into the fuel tank far enough to connect the vapor line quick connect fitting on the underside of the cover.
- Connect the vapor line quick connect fitting.
- Align the cover paddle or anti-rotation feature with the corresponding feature in the top of the fuel tank.
- Slowly apply pressure to the top of the spring loaded sender cover until the sender aligns flush with the surface of the tank.
- Use the remover tool in order to install the fuel sender lock ring. Turn the fuel lock ring in a clockwise direction.
- Turn the lock ring until the ring seats on the second detent.
- Engage the fuel feed line to the retaining features built into the fuel tank.
- Connect the EVAP vapor line quick connect fittings.
- Connect the fuel pressure sensor and sender electrical connections.
- Install the fuel tank.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Refill the tank.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.