- Remove the knee bolster bracket.
Disconnect the intermediate steering shaft from the steering column.
NOTEDO NOT disconnect the adjustable brake pedal cable.
- Remove the accelerator pedal bracket and reposition it leaving everything attached, if the vehicle is equipped with adjustable pedals.
Disconnect any electrical connectors as needed.
WARNINGInstall tie straps (1) between the tilt lever bracket (2) and the base of the steering column to prevent the steering column jacket from pulling apart. The tilt lever must be in the LOCK (FULL UP) position during the steering column removal and installation to ensure that the tilt lever bracket remains rigid. Also install tie straps around the tilt lever and the steering column jacket to keep the tilt lever in the LOCK position. Do not bend the steering column energy absorbing straps located on the upper steering column mounting bracket.
Install tie straps as described above.
- Remove the lower steering column bolt.
- Remove the upper steering column bolts from the steering column.
- Remove the steering column from the vehicle.
- Position the steering column in the vehicle.
- Align the steering column energy absorbing straps with the bolt holes in the steering column and loosely install the upper steering column bolts.
Loosely install the lower steering column bolt .
CAUTIONTighten the steering column lower fasteners before you tighten the steering column upper fasteners. Failure to do this can damage the steering column. Tighten the steering column fasteners to the specified torque. Overtightening the upper steering column fasteners could affect the steering column collapse.
Tighten the steering column bolts in the following sequence:
Tighten the lower bolt to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Remove the tie straps (1) from the tilt lever bracket (2). Also remove the tie straps from around the tilt lever and the steering column jacket.
- Connect any electrical connectors as needed.
- Install the accelerator pedal bracket, if previously set aside.
- Connect the intermediate steering shaft to the steering column. Tighten the bolt to 36 ft. lbs.(49 Nm).
- Install the knee bolster bracket.
- Perform the control module setup.