Secure the steering wheel utilizing a strap to prevent rotation. Locking of the steering column will prevent damage and a possible malfunction of the SIR system. After disconnecting these components, do not move the front tires and wheels. Failure to follow these procedures may cause improper alignment of some components during installation and result in possible damage to the SIR coil.
Once the steering column is removed from the vehicle, the column is extremely susceptible to damage. Dropping the column assembly on the end could collapse the steering shaft or loosen the plastic injections, which maintain column rigidity. Leaning on the column assembly could cause the jacket to bend or deform. Any of the above damage could impair the columns collapsible design. Do NOT hammer on the end of the shaft, because hammering could loosen the plastic injections, which maintain column rigidity. If you need to remove the steering wheel, refer to the Steering Wheel Replacement procedure in this section.
- Remove the knee bolster bracket.
Disconnect the intermediate steering shaft from the steering column.
NOTEDO NOT disconnect the adjustable brake pedal cable.
- Remove the accelerator pedal bracket and reposition it leaving everything attached, if the vehicle is equipped with adjustable pedals.
Disconnect any electrical connectors as needed.
WARNINGInstall tie straps (1) between the tilt lever bracket (2) and the base of the steering column to prevent the steering column jacket from pulling apart. The tilt lever must be in the LOCK (FULL UP) position during the steering column removal and installation to ensure that the tilt lever bracket remains rigid. Also install tie straps around the tilt lever and the steering column jacket to keep the tilt lever in the LOCK position. Do not bend the steering column energy absorbing straps located on the upper steering column mounting bracket.
Install tie straps as described above.
- Remove the lower steering column bolt.
- Remove the upper steering column bolts from the steering column.
- Remove the steering column from the vehicle.
Start all bolt and nuts by hand before finalizing any torques. Do not bend the steering column energy absorbing straps located on the upper steering column mounting bracket during installation.
- Position the steering column in the vehicle.
- Align the steering column energy absorbing straps with the bolt holes in the steering column and loosely install the upper steering column bolts.
Loosely install the lower steering column bolt .
CAUTIONTighten the steering column lower fasteners before you tighten the steering column upper fasteners. Failure to do this can damage the steering column. Tighten the steering column fasteners to the specified torque. Overtightening the upper steering column fasteners could affect the steering column collapse.
Tighten the steering column bolts in the following sequence:
Tighten the lower bolt to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Remove the tie straps (1) from the tilt lever bracket (2). Also remove the tie straps from around the tilt lever and the steering column jacket.
- Connect any electrical connectors as needed.
- Install the accelerator pedal bracket, if previously set aside.
- Connect the intermediate steering shaft to the steering column. Tighten the bolt to 36 ft. lbs.(49 Nm).
- Install the knee bolster bracket.
- Perform the control module setup.