REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disengage the electrical connector from the idle air control valve.
- Loosen and remove the IAC valve retaining bolts, then remove the valve from the engine.
- Measure the valve pintle extension. To retract the pintle on a NEW valve, use firm thumb pressure and, if necessary, rock the pintle with a slight side-to-side motion. BUT, if reinstalling a used valve on which the pintle is extended further than specification, an IAC tester MUST be used to electrically retract the pintle.
Do not attempt to physically retract a pintle on an IAC valve that has been in service, the force may damage the pintle threads. The force required to retract the pintle is only safe on NEW IAC valves.
- Lightly coat the IAC valve O-ring with clean engine oil.
- Inspect the retaining screw threads for threadlocking material. If there is no longer sufficient material on the threads, clean the threads and apply Loctite®262 or equivalent. DO NOT use a stronger compound or future bolt removal may be difficult.
- Install the IAC valve and tighten the retaining bolts to 27 inch lbs. (3.0 Nm).
- Engage the valve electrical connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Reset the IAC valve pintle: turn the ignition ON (engine NOT running) for 5 seconds, then turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds. Start the engine and check for proper idle operation.