REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
- Remove the transmission assembly. For details, please refer to the manual transmission procedure found earlier in this section.
- Remove the clutch disc and pressure plate assembly. For details, please refer to the procedure found earlier in this section.
- Using a pilot bearing removing tool J-1448, remove the pilot bearing from the crankshaft.
If a bearing puller is not available, thoroughly pack the bearing cavity with fresh grease, then position a drift (whose outer diameter is close to, but not the same size as the bearing's inner diameter) in the center of the bearing. Drive the drift inward using a mallet, this should force the grease against the bearing cage, freeing it from the flywheel. Just be careful that enough grease is used to keep the drift from damaging the flywheel or other engine components.To install:
- Apply a few drops of machine oil to the bearing.
- Using a pilot bearing installing tool J-1522, or an equivalent driver, install the new pilot bearing.
- Install the clutch and pressure plate assembly.
- Install the transmission assembly to the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check operation.