See Figure 1
- With the ignition key OFF , remove the console cover, distributor cap, rotor and disconnect the pickup coil-to-module wire harness.
- Connect an ohmmeter from the distributor housing to one pickup lead. The reading should be infinite at all times.
- Connect an ohmmeter to both pickup coil wire terminals. The reading should be steady at one value within 500-1500 ohms. If not replace the pickup coil.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the distributor cap and rotor. Do NOT remove the spark plug wires from the cap.
- Mark the distributor housing, position of rotor and relationship from the distributor housing-to-engine block for installation purposes.
- Remove the distributor clamp and remove the distributor from the engine.
- Place the distributor in a vise and mark the distributor shaft and gear so they can be reassembled in the same position.
- Drive out the roll pin and remove the gear and shaft from the distributor. Remove the retainer clip by cutting it off.
- Remove the attaching screws, magnetic shield, retaining ring, and pole piece.
- Install the pole piece, pickup coil, retaining ring, magnetic shield and retaining screws. Install a new retainer clip using a socket as a driver.
- Install the gear and shaft to the distributor. Drive in the roll pin.
- Install the distributor and clamp to the marked position.
- Install the distributor cap and rotor.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Adjust the timing to specifications.