REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Refer to the Oil Pan, Removal and Installation procedures in this section and remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil pump-to-rear main bearing cap bolt(s), the pump and the extension shaft.
- Remove the pump pickup screen only if replacement is necessary. Because the pickup tube has a press (interference) fit to the pump cover on most models it cannot be reinstalled.
- Install the oil pump and extension shaft to the engine, while aligning the slot (on top of the extension shaft) with the drive tang (on the lower end of the distributor driveshaft). The oil pump should slide easily in place.
- Tighten the oil pump-to-bearing cap bolt(s) to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) for the 2.5L engine or 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm) for the 4.3L engine.
- Install the oil pan.
- Refill the crankcase with fresh oil.
- When starting the motor, MAKE SURE the oil pressure light goes out, or the gauge reads pressure almost immediately after starting. If it does not, shut the engine OFF and determine the cause of the problem.