REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The pushrod side cover is located on the right side of the engine and must be removed to service the valve lifters.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
- For access, remove the engine cover from the passenger compartment. For details, please refer to General Information & Maintenance of this information.
- If necessary, remove the alternator and the bracket from the engine.
- Place a pan under the radiator, open the drain cock and drain the cooling system.
- If necessary on early models, remove the intake manifold-to-engine brace, then remove the lower radiator and heater hoses.
- Disengage the ignition coil wires, then remove the spark plug wires and bracket from the intake manifold.
- Remove the fuel pipes and clips from the pushrod cover.
- Remove the oil pressure gage sender or wiring (if equipped), then remove the wiring harness brackets from the pushrod cover.
- Unscrew the nuts from the cover attaching studs, reverse 2 of the nuts so the washers face outward and screw them back onto the 2 inner studs.
- Assemble the 2 remaining nuts to the same 2 inner studs with the washers facing inward, then using a small wrench on the inner nut (on each stud) jam the nuts slightly together.
- Again using the wrench on the inner stud, unscrew the studs until the cover breaks loose, then remove the nuts from the studs and remove the cover from the engine. Remove the studs from the cover and reinstall them to the engine. Tighten the studs to 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Using a plastic scraper, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
Use a solvent to clean the oil and grease from the gasket mounting surfaces.To install:
- Apply a 3 / 16 (5mm) bead of RTV sealant to the gasket mating surface of the pushrod cover.
- Install the side cover to the engine and tighten the nuts to 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Engage the electrical connector to the oil sender (or install the sender if removed or if the cover is being replaced) and the wiring harness to the pushrod side cover.
- Install the fuel pipes and clips to the pushrod cover.
- Install the spark plug wires and bracket along with the coil wiring.
- If removed, install the lower radiator and heater hoses. Install the intake manifold-to-engine brace.
- If removed, install the alternator and the bracket to the engine.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then properly refill and bleed the cooling system.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Once the engine has cooled sufficiently, install the engine cover to the passenger compartment.