REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
- Place a catch pan under the radiator, open the drain cock and drain the cooling system.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Remove the accessory drive belt(s).
- Remove the upper fan shroud and the engine cooling fan. For details, please refer to the procedure found earlier in this section.
- Remove the water pump pulley.
- Loosen the clamps, then disconnect the hoses from the water pump.
- Remove the water pump-to-engine bolts. Because the bolt lengths and types may vary from location-to-location (some early-models may use studs in certain locations) on some models, tag or note all bolt locations as they are removed, this will help assure proper installation.
- Carefully break the gasket seal and remove the water pump from the engine.
- Using a plastic scraper, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- For 2.5L engines, clean the water pump bolt threads, then apply a coating of GM 1052080 or an equivalent sealant.
- Position the water pump to the engine using new gaskets, then install the retaining bolts. If any are of different lengths (or are bolts instead of studs) be sure they are installed in their original locations, as noted during removal.
- Tighten the pump-to-engine bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) for the 2.5L, 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm) 1985-92 4.3L engines, 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm) 1993-95 4.3L engines, or 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm) 1996 4.3L engines.
- Install the hoses to the water pump and secure using the clamps.
- Install the water pump pulley. For 1996 engines, tighten the pulley retaining bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the fan (and clutch or spacer assembly), along with the upper fan shroud. For details, please refer to the procedure found earlier in this section.
- Install the accessory drive belt and check for proper tension. For details, please refer to the belt information in General Information & Maintenance of this information.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Properly refill and bleed the engine cooling system, then check for leaks.