REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The following procedure requires the use of the GM Door Hinge Spring Compressor tool No. J-28625-A or equivalent.
If equipped with power door components, perform the following procedures:
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Refer to the Door Panel, Removal and Installation procedures in this section and remove the door panel.
- Disconnect the electrical harness connector from the power door lock motor and/or the power window regulator.
- Remove the electrical harness from the door.
- Using the GM Door Hinge Spring Compressor tool No. J-28625-A or equivalent, compress the door hinge spring and remove it.
- To remove the door hinge pin clips, spread the clips and move them above the recess on the pin; when the pin is removed, the clip will ride on the pin and fall free of it.
- Using a soft-head hammer and a pair of locking pliers, remove the lower pin from the door hinge; then, install a bolt (in the lower pin hole) to hold the door in place until the upper hinge pin is removed.
- Remove the upper door hinge pin and support the door, then remove the bolt from the lower hinge pin hole and the door from the vehicle.
- Position the door onto the hinges and insert a bolt through the lower hinge pin hole.
- Using a new hinge pin clip, install the upper hinge pin.
- Remove the bolt from the lower hinge pin hole. Using a new hinge pin, install it into the lower hinge pin holes.
- Using the GM Door Hinge Spring Compressor tool No. J-28625-A or equivalent, compress the door hinge spring and install it into the door hinge.
- If equipped with power door components, reconnect the electrical harness connector(s), install the door panel and the reconnect the negative battery cable.
Factory installed hinges are welded in place, so no adjustment of the system is necessary or recommended.