REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
Tools needed: slide hammer J-29307, countershaft roller bearing remover J-29369-2, axle tube bearing installer J-33844 and output shaft seal installer J-33893.
- Remove the shaft and tube assembly as outlined in this section.
- Remove the shaft with deflector and retaining ring by striking the inside of the shaft flange with a brass hammer to dislodge it from the tube. Pull the shaft out of the seal housing.
- Remove the shaft seal and bearing by using the slide hammer and bearing puller.
- Lubricate the seal lips, bearings and friction surfaces with axle lubricant before assembly.
- Install the bearing. On some applications, the bearing installer will be necessary.
- Install the seal using a suitable driver or seal installer tool.
- Insert the shaft to the tube assembly, taking GREAT CARE not to damage the seal with the shaft splines.
- Install the shaft and tube assembly as outlined in this section.