REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely using jackstands.
- Matchmark and remove the front driveshaft from the vehicle.
- Mark the nut, washer and flange so during installation the same amount of torque can be provided for the correct amount of bearing pre-load.
- Using an inch lbs. torque wrench (beam type with a needle gauge is usually easiest for this), measure the current pinion pre-load (the amount of force necessary to rotate the pinion).
- Remove the pinion flange nut and washer using a companion flange holder J-8614-01 or equivalent to keep the assembly from spinning.
- Place a container under the flange to catch any fluid which may leak, then remove the flange.
- Remove the oil seal by driving it out of the carrier with a blunt chisel.
- Clean all seal surfaces and remove burrs.
- Install the new seal using a suitable driver or an oil seal installer such as J-33782.
- Lubricate the seal lip and outside of the pinion flange with differential fluid or, if available, GM seal lubricant no. 1050169.
- Install the pinion flange, washer and nut, aligning all of the marks made earlier. The pinion flange must be installed with the SAME spline relationship marked during removal.
- Tighten the nut to previously marked position, then check the pre-load.
- If necessary, tighten the nut additionally to match the pre-load recorded earlier. Remember that the flange holding tool should be removed each time before re-checking the pre-load.
- For 1990-95 vehicles, tighten the nut until an additional 3-5 inch lbs. (0.3-0.6 Nm) of pre-load is achieved. If no torque wrench is available, tighten the nut approximately 1 / 16 in. (1.5mm) past the alignment mark.
- Align and install the front driveshaft.
- Check and add fluid to the front differential, as necessary. Remember that the vehicle must be level or you will not obtain the proper reading.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.