REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Refer to the Instrument Cluster, Removal and Installation procedures in this section and remove the instrument cluster.
- From the rear of the instrument cluster, remove the speedometer cable-to-head fitting.
If replacing ONLY the speedometer cable core, perform the following procedures:
- Disconnect the speedometer casing from the speedometer head.
- Pull the speedometer cable core from the speedometer casing.
- Using lubricant P/N 6478535 or equivalent, lubricate a new speedometer cable core and install the cable into the casing.
If replacing the speedometer cable core and the speedometer cable casing, perform the following procedures:
- Disconnect the speedometer cable casing from the speedometer head.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable casing from the transmission.
- Remove the various speedometer cable/casing retaining clips.
- Remove the speedometer cable/casing assembly from the vehicle.
See Figure 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle with jackstands.
- Disconnect the harness connector at the transmission.
- Remove the retaining bolt and sensor.
- Drain the excess fluid into a drain pan.
- Replace the O-ring seal if damaged.
- Install the sensor with a new O-ring. Coat the seal with a film of transmission fluid.
- Install the bolt and torque to 96 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Connect the harness connector and negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.
- Refill the transmission with fluid to the proper level and check operation.