REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The following procedures may require the use of the GM Safety Aimer tool No. J687801 or equivalent.Sealed Beam
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Remove the headlight bezel-to-fender screws and the bezel; allow the bezel to hang by the parking/side marker light wires.
- Remove the headlight retaining-to-fender spring.
- Remove the headlight retaining ring-to-fender screws and the retaining ring.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the headlight and remove the headlight from the vehicle.
- Connect the electrical connector to the headlight and install the headlight into the vehicle.
- Install the headlight retaining ring and the retaining ring-to-fender screws.
- Install the headlight retaining ring-to-fender spring.
- Install the headlight bezel and the bezel-to-fender screws.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.
- Check the headlight operation. Although, adjustment procedures may not be necessary, DO check the aim of the headlight.
If necessary to adjust the headlight aim, use the GM Safety Aimer tool No. J687801 or equivalent.
See Figures 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15
- Open the hood. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Remove the composite headlamp side lens.
- Remove the 3 bolts holding the composite headlight assembly to the body.
- Unplug the bulb connector and remove the assembly from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
See Figures 16, 17 and 18
Horizontal and vertical aiming of each headlight is done by 2 adjusting screws which move the mounting ring against the tension of the coil spring.
Some state and local authorities have specific requirements for aiming headlights and these requirements should be followed.