The shifter mechanism, of the 5-speed transmission, does not require adjustment and can be serviced independently.
SHIFTER RODS4-Speed (MR2)
See Figures 1 and 2
The following procedure requires the use of1/4in. pin gauge.
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely using jackstands. This is necessary for access to the transmission housing and shifter rods.
- At each shifting swivel (located on the shifter side cover), loosen the jam nuts on the shifter rods.
- From inside the vehicle, place the floor mounted, gear shift lever in the Neutral position.
- From under the vehicle, place the shifter rods in the Neutral position. Refer to the accompanying illustration for help locating Neutral on the transmission housing.
- Using a 1 / 4 in. pin gauge, position it in the holes of the gear shift control levers.
- While applying forward pressure (separately) on each shifter rod, tighten the shifter rod jam nuts, located on each side of the shifting swivel.
- Remove the pin gauge and check the shifting operation. Lubricate the shifting levers.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
See Figure 3
A clutch switch is located under the instrument panel and attached to the top of the clutch pedal. The switch is provided for safety to keep the vehicle from starting unless the pedal is depressed (disengaging the clutch).
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
- Remove the lower steering column-to-instrument panel cover.
- Disengage the electrical connector from the clutch switch.
Be sure to leave any carpets and floor mats (being used in the vehicle) in place, when making the adjustment.
- At the clutch switch, move the slider (adjuster) to the rear of the clutch switch shaft.
- Push the clutch pedal to the floor.
- While holding the clutch pedal to the floor, move the slider down the clutch switch shaft until it stops.
When moving the slider down the clutch switch shaft, a clicking noise can be heard.
- Release the clutch pedal; the adjustment is complete.
- Engage the electrical connector and connect the negative battery cable.
- Verify proper switch operation.
- Install the lower steering column cover.