See Figures 1, 2 and 3
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the hood.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then the positive cable and remove the battery.
- Remove the undercover.
- Properly drain the engine cooling system from the radiator and engine drains.
When draining coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Disconnect the upper water hose from the engine side.
- Loosen the compressor drive belt by moving the power steering oil pump or idler, if equipped.
- Remove the cooling fan and the fan shroud.
- Disconnect the lower water hose from the engine side.
- Remove the air conditioner compressor, if equipped.
- Remove the fan belt, the crankshaft pulley and the timing pulley housing covers.
- Unfasten the fixing bolt and remove the tension spring.
- Using tool J-29801 or an equivalent puller, remove the tension pulley and tension center.
- Remove the timing belt, the engine control cable and the wiring harness of the fuel cut solenoid.
- Remove the fuel hoses and the injection pipes. Using a wrench to secure the delivery holder, loosen the sleeve nuts on the injection pump side.
- Install a 6mm bolt (with pitch of 1.25) into the threaded hole in the timing pulley housing and through the hole in the pulley to keep it from turning.
- Remove the bolt holding the injection pump timing pulley, then remove the pulley using a puller.
- Remove the injection pump flange fixing nuts and rear bracket bolts, then remove the injection pump.
- Install the injection pump by aligning the notched line on the flange with the line on the front bracket.
- Install the injection pump timing pulley by aligning it with the key groove, then torque the bolts to 42-52 ft. lbs. (57-70 Nm).
- Position the piston of the No. 1 cylinder to TDC of the compression stoke and align marks on the timing pulleys.
- Refer to the timing belt procedures in Engine & Engine Overhaul of this repair guide, then install and adjust the timing belt.
- Check the injection timing.
- To complete the installation, reverse the removal procedures.