See Figure 1
Some 4-cylinder engines utilize a power steering pressure switch mounted on the steering gear or inlet pipe. The switch contacts will close when the steering is to the extreme left or right, this will signal the control module to increase idle speed and retard the spark timing in order to maintain a smooth idle.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Locate the switch on the gear or inlet pipe. If necessary, raise the front of the truck and support safely using jackstands.
- Disengage the switch connector.
- Loosen and remove the switch from the vehicle. Have a rag handy to catch any fluid which might escape. If the new switch is not to be installed immediately, cap the opening to prevent system contamination or excessive fluid loss.
- Install the switch to the steering gear or inlet pipe, as applicable.
- Engage the switch connector.
- If raised, remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.