The charge air cooling system is used on MFI-Turbo engines in order to introduce a denser air/fuel charge to the combustion chambers. The system is equipped with its own radiator (located at the front of the vehicle near the air deflector), electric coolant pump and charge air cooler. For more information regarding this system, please refer to General Information & Maintenance of this guide.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and properly drain the charge air cooling system.
- Raise and support the front of the truck safely using jackstands.
- Remove the air deflector shield from the studs on the bottom of the cooler radiator bracket.
- Disengage the 2 system electrical connectors.
- Loosen the clamps and remove the coolant hoses from the charge air cooler radiator and cooler pump.
- Remove the bolts and washers from the bottom of the cooler radiator bracket, then carefully lower the radiator and bracket from the truck.
- If necessary, remove the retaining bolts and separate the cooler radiator from the bracket.
- If removed, install the charge air cooler radiator to the bracket and secure using the retaining bolts.
- Install the cooler radiator and bracket assembly to the vehicle and secure using the bolts and washers.
- Engage the hoses to the charge air cooler radiator and the cooler pump, then secure using the clamps.
- Engage the system electrical connectors.
- Install the air deflector shield to the studs on the bottom of the bracket.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable and properly refill the charge air cooling system. For details, please refer to General Information & Maintenance of this guide.