REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The following procedure requires the use of a door hinge spring compressor such as J-28625-A, J-36604, or equivalent.
If equipped with power door components, perform the following procedures:
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On late model vehicles (all 1989-93 and some earlier models) check for access to the wiring by removing the cowl side vent cover. If access is possible, remove the receptacles from the wiring harness, then remove the retainer from the wiring harness grommet. Remove the rubber conduit from the door pillar by pushing it from the vent cover side.
- If access is not possible, remove the door trim panel, then disengage the electrical harness connector from the power door lock motor and/or the power window regulator. Remove the harness from the door.
- If available, apply cloth backed tape to the door and body pillar for protection.
- Using a door hinge spring compressor such as No. J-28625-A or equivalent, compress the door hinge spring and remove it.
- To remove the door hinge pin clips, spread the clips and move them above the recess on the pin; when the pin is removed, the clip will ride on the pin and fall free of it.
- Using a soft-head hammer and a pair of locking pliers, remove the lower pin from the door hinge; then, temporarily install a bolt (in the lower pin holes) to hold the door in place until the upper hinge pin is removed.
- Remove the upper door hinge pin and support the door, then remove the bolt from the lower hinge pin holes and remove the door from the truck.
- Position the door on the hinges and insert a bolt through the lower hinge pin holes.
- Using a new hinge pin clip, install the upper hinge pin.
- Remove the bolt from the lower hinge pin holes. Using a new hinge pin, install it into the lower hinge pin holes.
- Compress the door hinge spring and install it into the door hinge using the door hinge spring compressor tool.
- If equipped with power door components, re-engage the wiring and install the trim panel or pieces, then connect the negative battery cable.
Factory installed hinges are welded in place, so no adjustment of the system is necessary or recommended. Service replacement hinges are bolted in position and may be adjusted. If your vehicle is equipped with service replacement hinges, please refer to the door hinge adjustment procedure located later in this section.