The 2wd vehicles covered by this guide use a coil spring support for the front suspension.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The following procedure requires the use of a coil spring removal and installation tool such as No. J-23021-01 or equivalent.
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely using jackstands so that the front wheels hang free.
- Remove the shock absorber-to-lower control arm bolts, then push the shock up through the control arm and into the spring.
- Secure a coil spring tool (such as J-23021 or equivalent), to the end of a jack, then position it to cradle the inner control arm bushings.
- Remove the stabilizer bar link from the lower control arm.
Properly remove the lower control arm pivot bolts in order to pivot the arm and remove the spring:
- Raise the jack to remove the tension from the lower control arm pivot bolts.
- Install a chain around the spring and through the control arm as a safety measure.
During removal, note the direction in which the pivot bolts are mounted.
- Remove the lower control arm-to-frame pivot nuts and bolts - remove the rear pivot bolt first.
- Lower the control arm by slowly lowering the jack.
- When all of the compression is removed from the spring, remove the safety chain and the spring.
DO NOT apply force to the lower control arm and/or ball joint to remove the spring. Proper maneuvering of the spring will allow for easy removal.
- Apply adhesive into the insulator's groove, then position the insulators onto the top and bottom of the spring.
- Secure the coil spring tool, then position the coil spring and insulators on the lower control arm. Raise the control arm and spring assembly into position.
- Install the pivot bolts, starting with the front bolt first, and secure using new nuts. Both bolts should be installed in the direction they were facing when removed, which usually means they are inserted from the front of the vehicle.
- Install and secure the stabilizer bar link to the lower control arm.
- Position and secure the shock absorber.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.