The headlight switch is located on the left side of the instrument panel. A rheostat dial, usually located just above the headlight/parking light switch, is used to control the illumination of the instrument panel.
A dimmer switch is mounted on the lower back of the steering column (near the ignition switch) and is actuated by the multi-function lever. For dimmer switch removal and installation, please refer to the steering column procedures located in Suspension & Steering of this repair guide.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- From under the headlight switch assembly, remove the trim plate/switch assembly retaining screws.
For some vehicles equipped with fog lamps, the lamp switch may have to be removed in order to access the headlight trim plate/switch screw.
- Pull the switch trim plate from the instrument panel. On late model vehicles, pivot the trim plate outward at the bottom, then pull the plate downward to release it.
- Disengage the electrical wiring connectors from the rear of the trim plate/switch assembly.
- Remove the headlight switch from the trim plate; if necessary, replace the switch.
- Install the new switch, if necessary, to the trim plate.
- Engage the electrical wiring connectors to the rear of the switch/trim plate assembly.
- On late model vehicles, pivot the trim plate inward at the bottom, align the switch trim plate, then connect it to the instrument panel.
- Install the trim plate/switch retaining screws and secure them under the headlight switch assembly.
- If equipped, install the fog lamp switch.
- Connect the negative battery cable.