REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
If removing or replacing the fog lamps (not just the bulb) and one or both of the fog lamps still operates, refer to the aiming procedure later in this section to ease checking or adjustment of the fog lamps after installation.
Most fog lamp bulbs are easily replaced by removing the lens cover (standard bulbs) or lens trim panels (halogen bulbs) for access. Most later model vehicles are equipped with Halogen bulbs which require extra care. Handling a Halogen bulb improperly could cause it to shatter into flying glass fragments. To help avoid personal injury follow the precautions closely.
Whenever handling Halogen bulbs, ALWAYS follow these precautions:
- Turn the lamp switch OFF and allow the bulb to cool before changing it. Leave the switch OFF until the change is complete.
- ALWAYS wear eye protection when changing a Halogen bulb.
- DO NOT drop or scratch the bulb. Keep moisture away.
- Place the used bulb in the new bulb's carton and dispose of it properly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If replacing a standard bulb, remove the screws and lens for access to the bulb. Free the bulb from the socket and replace.
If replacing a Halogen bulb (all 1992 and later equipped vehicles, and some earlier models):
- Remove the lens trim panel screws from the front of the lamp, then pull the lamp and lens assembly forward from the case and turn it over.
- Disengage the white wire connector inside the braided insulator (leave the ground wire connected). Note the position of the wire clip at the lamp and lens assembly, then squeeze the edges of the clip together and remove it.
- Lift out the wire and the halogen bulb assembly.
- If the lamp assembly is being replaced:
When replacing lamp assemblies, if possible mark the beams of one or both lamps on a wall as a reference. Please see the aiming procedure later in this section for details.
- Disengage the electrical wiring from the fog lamp.
Remove the lamp assembly retaining screws. On early applications, the lamp was usually fastened to the bumper and air deflector. Make sure all retaining screws are unthreaded, then remove the lamp assembly from the vehicle.To install:
If the lamp assembly was removed:
- Position the lamp assembly to the vehicle and secure using the retaining screws.
- Engage the electrical wiring.
- Check the fog lamp aiming and adjust, as necessary.