The electric pump is attached to the fuel sending unit, located in the fuel tank.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Leave the gauge attached to the pressure fitting on the fuel inlet pipe.
- If disconnected during the fuel pressure relief procedure, reconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the regulator.
- Turn the ignition ON and listen for the pump to run (it should run for 2 seconds). If necessary, cycle the ignition OFF for 10 seconds and then ON again in order to build maximum system pressure. Check that pressure is at specification:
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Removal and installation of the fuel pump and sending unit assembly is the same on MFI vehicles as it is for TBI vehicles. Please refer to the TBI procedures earlier in this section for electric fuel pump replacement.