See Figures 1 and 2
The air cleaner has a dual purpose. It not only filters the air going to the carburetor or throttle body (as equipped), but also acts as a flame arrester if the engine should backfire. The engine should never be run without the air cleaner installed unless an engine maintenance procedure specifically requires the temporary removal of the air cleaner. Operating a vehicle without its air cleaner results in some throaty sounds from the engine giving the impression of increased power but will only cause trouble. Unfiltered air to the carburetor will eventually result in a dirty, inefficient carburetor and engine. A dirty carburetor increases the chances of carburetor backfire and, without the protection of an air cleaner, an underhood fire becomes a very real danger.
Your truck is equipped with an air cleaner element of the paper cartridge type. The element should be replaced every year or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first. If the truck is operated in heavy traffic or under dusty conditions, replace the element at more frequent intervals.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 3, 4 and 5
For most vehicles, the filter element is easily accessible by removing the cover from the air cleaner assembly.
- Loosen the wing nut(s) at the center of the air cleaner cover (carbureted and TBI), and/or, release the clamp fasteners along the cover's edge.
- Remove the cover from the air cleaner assembly, then remove the air cleaner element from the housing.
- If necessary, disconnect the air intake hose, and, if applicable, the heat stove and/or vacuum line(s), from the air cleaner housing. Remove the housing from the vehicle.
- If removed, position the air cleaner housing (on top of the carburetor or TBI unit on such equipped vehicles), then connect the air intake hose and, if applicable, the heat stove and/or vacuum line(s).
- Install the air cleaner element to the housing, then position the cover onto the assembly.
- Secure the cover using the clamp fasteners and/or wing nut(s).
- Disconnect the bolt retaining the air cleaner assembly, then pull the assembly up.
- Unsnap the retaining fasteners.
- Remove the air cleaner cover and the element
- Install the air filter element and the cover.
- Snap the retaining fasteners into place.
- Install the air cleaner assembly and secure with the retaining bolt.