The headlight dimmer switch is mounted on top of the steering column with the ignition switch. In some cases, these 2 switches may even share retainers, requiring the partial removal of the ignition switch in order to remove the dimmer switch.
The switch locations makes replacement unlikely without first lowering the steering column. The switch is actuated by the multi-function lever through a rod.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the lower column trim panel, then remove the steering column-to-instrument panel fasteners and carefully lower the column for access to the switch.
If the ignition switch shares fasteners with the dimmer switch it may be necessary to remove it first. For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
- Remove the dimmer switch-to-steering column retainers, then remove the switch from the column.
- Position the switch to the column and loosely install the retainers.
- Insert a 3 / 32 in. (2.38mm) drill bit into the adjustment hole provided in the switch to limit travel, then push the switch up against the actuator rod in order to remove lash.
- Tighten the switch retainers, then remove the drill bit.
- If removed for access, install the ignition switch.
- Raise the column into position and secure, then install any necessary trim plates.
- Make sure the ignition is OFF , then connect the negative battery cable.