REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Matchmark the relationship of the upper pot joint to the steering shaft, then remove the nut/bolt and separate the joint from the shaft.
- If equipped with a column mounted shifter, disconnect the transmission control linkage from the column shift tube levers.
- If equipped, remove the lower steering column trim panel.
- If applicable, disconnect the shift indicator cable from the shift bowl.
- If necessary, remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the bolts from the column floor/toe plate.
- Remove the column support bracket-to-instrument panel retainers, then carefully lower the column for access to the wiring.
- Disengage all of the electrical connectors from the steering column assembly.
Once the steering column has been removed from the vehicle, be careful not to drop it (especially on its end), lean on it or damage it in any way; the column is very susceptible to damage.
- Remove the column from the vehicle. Rotate the column so the shift lever clears the cowl opening.
- Position the steering column in the vehicle while carefully guiding the lower end through the cowl.
- Engage the electrical wiring connectors to the column.
- Raise the column into position and connect the shift indicator cable to the bowl (if equipped) then loosely install the column bracket-to-instrument panel retainers.
- Loosely install the column floor/toe plate retainers.
- Align and connect the pot joint to the steering shaft. Check the pot joint operating angle, it MUST not exceed 12.5 degrees. Install the nut/bolt and tighten to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm) for vehicles through 1992 or to 45 ft. lbs. (62 Nm) for 1993 vehicles.
- Tighten the column retainers. The floor/toe retainers should be tightened to 120 inch lbs. (13 Nm), the column bracket-to-column bolts (if removed) to 17 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) and the column bracket-to-instrument panel retainers to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- If equipped with a column mounted shifter, connect the transmission control linkage to the column shift tube levers, then check and adjust the shift indicator cable, as necessary.
- If removed, align and install the steering wheel.
- If applicable, install the steering column trim panel.
- Enable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system. For details, please refer to the procedure located in Chassis Electrical of this guide.
- Make sure the ignition is OFF , then connect the negative battery cable.