For 1986-91 vehicles equipped with ABS, the entire Hydraulic Assembly must be removed along with the master cylinder. Please refer to the procedure, located under the Teves Mark II ABS system in this section. For 1992-99 vehicles, the master cylinder can be removed independently of the ABS components.
For 1992-99 vehicles with ABS, after bleeding the brake system you must perform an "Auto Bleed" sequence, using a Tech 1® or equivalent scan tool. If you do not have access to a suitable scan tool, your vehicle will probably have to be towed to a shop with the proper diagnostic equipment to have the procedure performed.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
Brake fluid contains polyglycol ethers and polyglycols. Avoid contact with the eyes and wash your hands thoroughly after handling brake fluid. If you do get brake fluid in your eyes, flush your eyes with clean, running water for 13 minutes. If eye irritation persists, or if you have taken brake fluid internally, IMMEDIATELY seek medical assistance.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Use a turkey baster or equivalent tool to siphon the brake fluid from the master cylinder into a suitable container.
Clean, high quality brake fluid is essential to the safe and proper operation of the brake system. You should always buy the highest quality brake fluid that is available. If the brake fluid becomes contaminated, drain and flush the system, then refill the master cylinder with new fluid. Never reuse any brake fluid. Any brake fluid that is removed from the system should be discarded. Also, do not allow any brake fluid to come in contact with a painted surface; it will damage the paint.
- If equipped, unfasten the retainer and detach the electrical connector from the fluid level sensor.
- For 1991-99 vehicles with ABS, disconnect the reservoir hose and plug it to avoid contamination and fluid loss.
- Use a flare nut wrench to disconnect the hydraulic lines from the master cylinder. Plug or cap the lines to avoid contaminating the system.
- Unfasten the master cylinder-to-power booster mounting bolts/nuts, then remove the master cylinder assembly.
- On 1991-99 ABS equipped vehicles, if replacing the master cylinder, transfer the reservoir to the new master cylinder.