REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Unfasten the retaining nuts, then remove the master cylinder from the booster. It is not necessary to disconnect the lines from the master cylinder. Just move the cylinder aside for access to the power booster. Be careful not to flex or distort the brake lines.
- Disconnect the vacuum booster pushrod from the brake pedal inside the car. It is retained by a bolt. A spring washer lies under the bolt head, and a flat washer goes on the other side of the pushrod eye, next to the pedal arm.
- Remove the four attaching nuts from inside the vehicle, then remove the booster from its mounting position on the firewall.
- Position the booster on the firewall. Tighten the mounting nuts to 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
- Connect the booster pushrod to the brake pedal.
- Install the master cylinder and secure with the retaining nuts. Tighten the nuts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
See Figures 2 and 3
The booster can be removed from the vehicle without removing or disconnecting the master cylinder. However, if both the booster and master cylinder are to be removed, remove the master cylinder first.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the booster vacuum hose from the vacuum check valve.
- Unfasten the master cylinder attaching nuts. Separate the master cylinder from the booster. Move the master cylinder forward just enough to clear the booster studs. This will flex the brake pipes slightly, so be very careful not to bend or distort the pipes.
- Remove the acoustical barrier from the booster studs, located inside the passenger compartment, under the instrument panel.
- Unfasten the booster attaching nuts, from inside the vehicle.
- Remove the booster from the brake pedal. Tilt the entire booster slightly to work the pushrod off the pedal clevis pin without putting undue side pressure on the pushrod.
- Remove the booster from the vehicle, then remove the gasket.
- Place the gasket on the booster. Position the booster in the vehicle.
- Attach the booster pushrod to the brake pedal. Tilt the entire booster slightly to work the pushrod onto the pedal clevis pin without putting undue side pressure on the pushrod.
- Install the booster attaching nuts and tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
- Install the acoustical barrier to the booster studs, located under the instrument panel.
- Position the master cylinder to the booster and secure with the retaining nuts. Tighten the nuts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Attach the booster vacuum hose to the vacuum check valve.
- Connect the negative battery cable.