REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 12
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container.
- If necessary for access, remove the air cleaner, mounting stud and duct.
- Remove the upper fan mounting bolts.
- Unfasten the retainers, then remove the upper radiator panel.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old. To avoid being burned, do NOT remove the thermostat housing cap while the engine is at normal operating temperature. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if the cap is removed while the engine is still hot.
- Remove the cooling fans, as outlined later in this section.
- Disconnect the coolant reservoir hose from the radiator neck and the radiator hoses from the radiator.
- If equipped, unplug the cooling sending unit electrical connector.
- If equipped, disconnect the engine oil cooler lines from the radiator.
- If equipped with an automatic transaxle, disconnect the transaxle cooler lines from the radiator side tank.
- Unfasten the upper radiator panel retaining bolts, then remove the panel.
- Lift the radiator up and remove from the vehicle.
- Install the radiator in the vehicle. Make sure the bottom of the radiator is properly seated in the lower pads.
- If equipped, install the radiator-to-radiator support attaching clamp and bolts, then tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- If equipped with an automatic transaxle, connect the transaxle cooler lines. Use a flare nut wrench to tighten the lines to 20 ft. lbs. (1 Nm).
- Install the upper radiator panel. Tighten the retainers to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Connect the radiator hoses to the radiator and the coolant reservoir hose to the radiator filler neck.
- Install the cooling fan assembly and tighten the fan attaching bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm). Attach the electrical connector(s).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill cooling system and check for leaks. Start the engine and allow to come to normal operating temperature. Recheck for leaks and refill as necessary.