REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Motor and Express Module
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the windshield header courtesy/reading lamp and housing.
- Remove the lace.
- Partially lower the headlining in order to access the motor.
- Drill out the 2 retaining rivets, then remove the bracket.
- Pull the relay from the mounting tab.
- Detach the motor electrical connector, then remove the motor.
- Reassemble the bracket to the motor using rivets, if removed.
- Install the retaining screws.
- Install the relay to the mounting tab.
- Attach the motor electrical connector.
- Install the headliner to its original position.
- Install the headlining material to the sunroof opening.
- Install the lace.
- Install the windshield header courtesy/reading lamp.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the weatherstrip lace around the sunroof opening (inside the vehicle).
- Remove or lower the formed headlining, as necessary.
- Unfasten the attaching screws.
- Remove the motor from roof by pulling it off of the transmission.
If motor is removed from vehicle, it must be synchronized before installation.
- If equipped, remove the express module by sliding it out of the slots in the bracket toward the center of the vehicle.
- Detach the electrical connector.
- Connect the electrical connectors and slide the express module into place.
- Reverse the removal procedures for installation. Install the motor assembly to the transmission.
- Install the retaining bolts.
- Install the headliner and weatherstrip.
See Figure 2
- Remove the motor from sunroof, but do not disengage the wiring.
- Inspect the motor to see that the notch on the larger wheel is oriented toward the connector, and that a line drawn through the axle of the larger wheel and the hole near it align with the axle of the smaller wheel.
- If necessary, activate the power switch to align them. The motor is now synchronized.
- When installing the synchronized motor onto the transmission and into the sunroof, visually align the mounting screw holes in the motor with the corresponding holes in the roof. Failure to do so will require twisting the motor to align the holes, and this will desynchronize the motor.
TRACK ASSEMBLY SYNCHRONIZATION
See Figure 3
- Remove the formed headlining.
- Cycle the glass panel to the flush position.
- Remove the screws at the front opening and slide through and shield assembly to the rear.
- Remove the motor.
- Mark the fourth rib from front on lift arm on either side of vehicle. Use a china marker or something that won't wipe off when handling.
- The vertical line make by the forth rib should continue through the center of the pin on the trolley lift arm.
- If not, use locking pliers with padded jaws or a window regulator handle on transmission to move lift arm to alignment.
- Synchronize motor.
- Install the motor.
- Slide trough and shield assembly to forward position.
- Install the screws in the shield and trough.
- Install the headlining and weatherstrip.
SUNSHADE AND GLASS PANEL
- Slide the sunshade fully rearward.
- Slide the halo rearward.
- Pop the deflector arms off the bracket.
- Remove the screws by partially opening the glass to access the front screws, then raise the glass to the vent position to get to the rear screws.
- Remove the glass panel.
- Position the halo and sunshade halfway across the sunroof opening.
- Lift the halo to clear the sunshade, then push the halo fully rearward.
- Push the sunshade fully forward. Flex the center rear of the sunshade upward to disengage the guides. Rotate the sunshade sideways, then pull it out of the vehicle.
- Install the sunshade, by positioning the shade so that both guides on one side and the gear guide on the opposite rear corner are properly located in the track slide. Flex the shade upward in the center, and engage with the remaining guide with the track. Check that all guides are properly engaged.
- Slide the halo forward of the shade, then slide the shade and halo fully rearward.
- Install the sliding glass panel and retaining screws to the lifter arms.
- Adjust the sliding glass panel height and fit.
- Install the deflector arms.
- Be careful not to disengage the plastic slide on the forward portion of the lifter arm from the track slot.
If the plastic slide disengages from the track slot, it may be inserted as follows:
- Place a 2.5mm hex wrench next to the track and under the plastic slide. Using the wrench as a platform, squeeze the slide downward and fit it back into the track slot.
- Slide the halo fully forward, then install the 3 screws.
See Figures 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
Remove the glass panel/module, as follows:
- Remove the headlining.
- Cycle the glass to the rear.
- Remove the retaining screws. Start with rear on both sides. Leave the second from the rear screw in place. They can be identified from the inside of the vehicle, in that they are a machine thread type.
- Remove the third and fourth screws on from rear on both sides.
- Remove the remaining screw in any order.
- Cycle the glass to the flushed or closed position.
- Remove the motor.
- Remove the transmission screws at the sunroof housing.
- Mask the roof panel around sunroof to prevent damaging paint.
- Always handle module by glass panel, and avoid squeezing module as this will bend components.
- Remove the sunroof module by lifting up and forward.
- Cycle unit to rear until arm pin is clear.
- Remove the cover plates. Usually the rear screw is a machine thread type; make sure to return screws to their correct locations.
- Cycle forward to expose the opening in track which allows the lifter arms to disengage from trolley.
- Remove the lift arms by sliding to the rear and lifting out at openings in track.
- Cycle the trolley to its forward position, but DO NOT disengage the cable from the transmission.
- Pull the trough and shield forward, then lift out.
- Pull sunshade forward and lift rear guides out of openings in track.
- Cycle trolley to forward position.
- Rotate sunshade until rear guides fit through openings and into track slots. Inspect to insure that both rear guides have engaged correctly.
- Slide sunshade to rear while keeping unit centered.
- Slide sunshade forward unit even with trolley.
- Install the left guide shoe of trough and shield assembly into opening in track, and engage in slot in the track.
- Position right guide shoe at opening in track. With a thin blade screwdriver pull out the spring clip on the right guide shoe so that right side of trough and shield assembly snaps into track slot.
- Center and push trough and shield assembly into housing until seated.
- Cycle trough and shield assembly to full rear travel.
Install the sunroof glass panel/module, as follows:
- Insert the rear of module through roof opening taking care to index module on raised guides on track.
- Slide module into sunroof opening taking care to avoid damage to finish. During the last 2 or 3 inches of travel, resistance will be felt as the module slides under its rear retaining clips.
- Inspect to confirm that the module is under its clips, or noise will be created when the vehicle is driven.
- Lower the glass panel.
- Install the screws into the transmission.
- Install the motor.
- Cycle the glass panel fully to the rear, then forward 1 / 8 inch to take load off of the bumpers.
- Install the module's rear screws to orient the unit.
- Install the remaining screw.
- Check for proper operation and alignment.
AIR DEFLECTOR ASSEMBLY
See Figure 12
- Cycle glass panel to rear.
- Push out the pin in the deflector lift arm with an angled tool (one pin per side).
- Remove the spring.
Note the position of the spring before removal.
- Raise the deflector lift arm to the vertical position, then snap the molded pin out of the bracket.
To get a proper fit, you may need to squeeze the bracket arms together with pliers.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Be careful to install the spring in its original position.