REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Prop the lid open and place protective covering along the edges of the rear compartment opening to prevent damage to the painted areas.
- If equipped, remove the lid trim panel by unfastening the push-in retainers, then remove the trim panel.
- If necessary, disconnect the wiring harness from the lid. Connect a piece of string to the end of the wiring connector, then pull the wiring through.
- Mark the location of the hinge strap-to-lid attaching bolts.
Before removing the trunk lid bolts, loosen all of them evenly.
- While a helper supports the lid, loosen all of the hinge-to-lid bolts, then remove the bolts and carefully remove the lid.
- Have an assistant help you maneuver the trunk lid in position, aligning the marks made during removal.
- With the help of an assistant, align the lid, then install and hand-tighten all the bolts.
- Realign the lid as necessary, and tighten the hinge-to-lid attaching bolts to 18-24 ft. lbs. (25-33 Nm).
- Using the string, pull the wiring back through the trunk lid.
- If equipped, install the lid trim panel by inserting the push-in retainers.
See Figure 4
Make sure that the rubber overslam bumpers are screwed into the trunk lid completely. Do NOT loosen the overslam bumpers to make an adjustment.Fore/Aft Adjustment and Flushness
- With the lid closed, check the fore/aft adjustment of the trunk lid at the rear corners of the lid. Also, check the flushness of the lid to the quarters. If adjustment is necessary, loosen the trunk lid-to-hinge
bolts and adjust the lid.
- Tighten the hinge bolts to 18-24 ft. lbs. (25-33 Nm).
- If the trunk lid is not flush at the rear, loosen the inner latch striker mounting nut, then close the trunk.
- From beneath the rear bumper fascia, mark the vertical location of the outer latch striker mounting nuts.
- Loosen the outer latch striker mounting nuts. The latch should move upward. If the latch striker does not move, it's probably at the top of its adjustment range. This will require that an adjustment be made to the latch assembly.
- Check that the trunk lid remains flush to the quarter panels, then tighten the outer latch striker mounting nuts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Tighten the inner latch striker mounting nuts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
With the trunk lid closed, inspect the trunk lid-to-quarter panel gaps,
in. (3-4mm) at the front and rear corners of the lid. If the proper gaps are present, latch striker adjustments may be necessary. If the proper gaps are not present, the trunk lid will have to be adjusted, as follows:
- Remove the rear shelf speaker covers.
- Loosen the lid hinge-to-rear shelf attachments.
- Position the trunk in the opening to get the proper gaps.
- Loosen the latch mounting bolts.
- With an assistant in the trunk, gently close the lid until the latch contacts the latch striker. Hold the lid down and have the assistant snug the latch mounting bolts.
- Raise the trunk lid, then tighten the latch mounting bolts to 93 inch lbs. (10.5 Nm).
- Tighten the hinge-to-shelf bolts to 2 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Check the trunk lid for proper adjustment and gaps.